You need to apply for New U.S. Passport if:
None of the above? Return to U.S. passport services guide.
Fill out the following documents for new U.S. Passport:
Passport Pages Order Form
Complete our order form indicating turnaround time for new passport service.
New U.S. passport application DS-11 online
Fill out new passport application form online. Click on "Continue" under "Apply for a Passport Book" column, complete all required fields and print out the application. Do not sign the application form. The original form must be signed in front of the Acceptance Agent. To find the nearest Acceptance Agent, use U.S. Department of State Acceptance Agent Locator. The DS-11 form must be completed online, applications without a barcode will be delayed.
Letter of Authorization
Download, print out, sign and date this letter of authorization. Important: Please enclose an additional copy of the Letter of Authorization outside of the envelope sealed by the Acceptance Agent.
Two (2) passport photos
Photos must be identical, taken within the past 6 months, 2x2 inches, and not from a vending machine.
Proof of U.S. citizenship
- Original Birth Certificate (if born in the United States), or
- Previously issued ( undamaged ) U.S. passport, or
- Read more on proof of U.S. citizenship.
Note: All originals will be returned to you with newly issued passport.
Proof of Identity
- A valid driver's license issued more than 6 months ago, or
- Previous U.S. passport (mutilated, altered, or damaged passports are not acceptable as proof of identity).
Note: If you changed your legal name you will need to provide a certified copy of either a marriage certificate or a name change court decree.
If applying for a Minor please read US passport requirements for minors.
- Copy of a plane ticket to a foreign country, or
- Copy of a travel itinerary with the applicant's name showing dates and flight information, or if neither is available and traveling for business
- A letter from the employer.
For 24 hour passport service, travel dates must be within 14 days.
Certified Check or money order payable to the "U.S. Department of State"
- for $170 (adults - 16 years or older) or
- for $140 (minors - 15 and under)
Passport fees have increased and go into effect on Tuesday, July 13, 2010.
Getting the Documents for New Passport Application Authorized
Locate the nearest Passport Acceptance Facility
The Acceptance Agent has to:
- Witness the signing of application for new passport;
- Collect a $25 execution fee;
- Check applicant's ID;
- Verify the documents and seal them into an envelope.
The items that should be handed to the Agent and sealed are:
- Filled out application form DS-11 signed in front of the agent.
- Original proof of the United States citizenship.
- Two passport photos.
- Evidence of urgent travel (24 hour passport service only).
- Certified check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of State for the appropriate amount.
- The Letter of Authorization.
The Acceptance Agent should write the applicant's name, departure date, and date of birth on the outside of the sealed envelope. If two or more applications are sealed in the same envelope please make sure that the information about both applicants is written on the envelope.
All minors must appear in person.
You must inform the Agent that you are using a passport agency to expedite the processing and that the sealed documents will be hand-delivered to the Department of State. This Department of State policy is called "Hand Carrying of Executed Applications". The policy is detailed on pages 31 and 44 of the Acceptance Agent Manual.
The acceptance agent will return sealed envelope to you. Do not open the envelope. Mail in sealed envelope along with remaining paperwork to Travel and Visa, ( Phone: 404-452-7288, Fax:404-551-5279, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ) for the processing of your new passport.
For faster service and accurate tracking we recommend using FedEx, UPS, or certified USPS Mail.